I have realized that people really like to make comments to pregnant ladies.
Many of the comments are very nice, such as "You look great", "You must be all baby", "You certainly look small for how far along you are", "You just look radiant", etc.
Unfortunately, there is a large segment of the population who never learned what is and is not appropriate to say to a pregnant lady. And unfortunately (probably, fortunately), due to my desire to remain "professional" at work, I am not allowed to spout witty comments back.
Here are some of the comments that I especially did not enjoy (no, none of these came from my faithful blog readers):
- "Are you sure you aren't having twins?" (this has been asked multiple times...but always by men)
- "Looks like you could have that baby any day (said to me about 2 months ago...they should see me now!)"
- "Wow, you're getting huge." (I admit, prior to this pregnancy, I did say this to a pregnant friend, why she did not correct me, I'm not sure)
- "Are you sure you're going to be able to birth that baby naturally?" (really, I'm so huge you think the baby will get stuck, I'm not exactly a petite woman)
- "I had a niece that lost four babies, one was full term. It was really active, then all of a sudden it quit moving, and it died" (I'm not sure what the purpose of telling me this story was, or what an appropriate response should have been, I think I just gave the woman a blank stare)


Bless you for continuing to be professional. Otherwise, you might need a 2x4 to knock some sense into people. Fortunately, it shows they are the knuckleheads!! Good reminder for the rest of us on what to/not to say. Thanks.
ReplyDeletePeople are so freakin stupid! I remember having those days, too. I even had one man try to tell me about labor and what to expect and how to deliver the baby because he had been thru it. WHAT?!? That was your wife, buddy, not you. I agree that men are clueless when it comes to what to say, but women sometimes tell you horror stories that need not be shared (as in your last statement).
ReplyDelete