Thursday, June 25, 2009

4 days old (warning... lots of pictures)

It seems like Benjamin has been with us for a lot longer than 4 days...which could be due to the fact that my "days" are lasting longer than they used to.
(Headed home from the hospital)







Tuesday was our first day home.
We left the hospital around noon and made the long 3 mile trek home. Benjamin didn't like being put in the carseat, but after getting settled, he was fine with it, and dozed off on the way home. The first day home went by quickly getting the baby gear organized and adjusting to our new schedule with Benjamin. I used the Moby wrap that my mom made to "wear" Benjamin while we ate lunch. Later that evening, my parents came over for dinner and we had a great salad, grilled chicken, and a yummy blueberry shake for dessert. We found out later that evening that Benjamin is not such a fan of the cauliflower...it made him very gassy. Hubby went to bed around 10:30, since he was working the next day. Benjamin slept a bit, then starting crying...and crying..and crying. I fed him, changed his diaper, swaddled him, unswaddled him, had him suckle my finger, tried the pacifier...still crying. After about 1.5 hrs of this, I gave up and let Hubby take over. Thankfully, he was able to calm Benjamin down after lots of burping, but was only able to keep him calm by having Benjamin on his chest suckling on his pinkie finger. So, I got some rest, and Hubby slept in the chair with Benjamin on his chest from 2-5am. At 5, I woke up, got Benjamin breastfed, and sent tired Hubby to bed for a few hours of sleep before work.

Wednesday (the highlights only from now on)
  • Benjamin got his first bath at home
  • We discovered that he really likes the swing (thanks Danie for loaning it to us)
  • He found out how fun it is to throw his arms up above his head, especially his right hand
  • He peed on himself for the 1st time while GmaCow was changing his diaper for the first time...which was a new experience for Gma, because Benjamin has been wearing cloth diapers since he arrived at home...and she isn't used to changing a baby boy's diaper.
  • He got to watch the NCAA Baseball final with Dad. Dad taught Benjamin to mourn when the Big 12 loses.
  • He slept really well throughout the night, only waking to be changed and fed, then would be swaddled and put back to bed in the bassinet in our bedroom. Hubby didn't need to get up at all, so he should be well rested today for work. Benjamin did have one wakeful period throughout the night. At least once per day and once per night, he will get very quite and alert with his eyes wide open just staring around. So I laid him on the quilt my sister made him and read him some Dr. Seuss stories.

Now, let's pray for another night like last night.

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE all the pictures. Sounds like you are getting settled in. I'm sure everyone at the Rx loved seeing him. How could they not know he is absolutely precious! Glad you handed B. off to Scott after so much crying. It makes you feel helpless, but you know you've done all the normal things to fix it. Smart Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary and Scott - he is so precious! Congrats on your new addition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be Lauren Horsman. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too darn cute! I can't wait to meet him and hold him and snuggle him! Days and nights to get long and run together, but it's so worth it. It's sometimes hard to remember that when you are sleepless and drained. I'm so glad things are going so well. I was not allowed to have dairy (especially not milk or ice cream) at night while nursing because those and veggies that cause us gas make them super gassy. Hmm... It sounds like Ben is a happy camper and Mom and Dad are good parents already. Lots of love!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go to sleep little boy, my sissy needs her rest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the wrap...he looks very comfortable in it!

    ReplyDelete