Why, you ask?
Well, I went to my non-stress test as I have every Wednesday since April 22nd. I answered all the normal questions.... "Yes, baby has been moving a lot.", "No, I haven't been feeling any contractions, only a little crampiness.", nothing out of the ordinary. My BP was doing wonderful as usual (120/70). I got hooked up to the monitors (one which monitors baby's heartbeat, one which monitors contractions). Baby was moving quite a bit (especially after I treated baby to some orange juice, his/her favorite drink, just like mom and Grandpa C). The OB nurse came in to check Baby Cady's heart beat and she informed me that it looked like I was having a contraction. Well, that was weird because I didn't feel a thing. The nurse left and came back in a few minutes. She looked at the readings and informed me that I was having contractions about every 2 minutes!
FREAK OUT (inside)
Not only could I not even feel these contractions, I was not ready for baby! I haven't packed anything in a bag for the hospital (not a huge deal since I'm in such a small town, but slightly being prepared would be nice). So I got my first "exam" to check to see if I was dialated. Not the most pleasant feeling in the world, but not too painful.
So...nothing. Not dialated at all, which is ok with me because I'm not technically "full-term" until Friday. But, exciting nonetheless. I figured that this baby was never coming out because I haven't been feeling any of the normal Braxton-Hicks contractions that lot of women get as their body "prepares" for labor.
Baby seems to be doing just fine and growing as expected. Based on the recent movements of baby, I think I may have a Kung-Fu Panda instead of an infant: )


Everyone has a freak out moment and then you take a deep breath and just do it! The best adventure you will ever experience :-)
ReplyDeleteYep - freak outs are totally normal, especially when you feel the contractions and the baby is really coming. :) Glad everything else is going okay. No, the dialation checks are NOT FUN!! Get used to those when you are in labor - they don't get any better. Ugh! But, the end result is worth every bit of what you go thru to get there!!
ReplyDeleteUmmm...Just know that even when the official time has come for you and Scott to both freakout, and the dr. is demanding to do a dialation check--the first thing you should do is call me!!! Really Mary!!!it is PREPOSTEROUS that you did not think of this first.
ReplyDeleteHaving contractions and not even knowing it. Sounds like a plan to me. It is amazing to me how your body prepares for this, even when you aren't aware. I have put work on Baby Alert. I told them when I get a call, I am out of there or I'm not coming in. I will need to get a bag packed so I'm ready to go. YIKES!!
ReplyDelete