So, I had my 1st non-stress test (NST) this morning. A NST is about the most non-invasive test you could ask for. They simply attach a heart rate monitor to the belly, and monitor the babies heart rate. When the baby kicks, I click a button. The baby's heart rate should increase when it is kicking. Easy peas-y Japenese-y!
I was actually not very stressed when I went this morning because baby has been very active, so I was sure baby was doing OK.
I got checked in, went to OB dept, and got taken to a room where they laid me down, attached me to monitors, and told me the drill. To ensure a lively baby, I had eaten some OJ and a granola bar right before going to the hospital, played the music really loud in the car, and told baby that he better behave for his first test...mom has always been a good test taker, and I didn't want to be disappointed. Baby kicked the monitor as it was being placed on my belly. He really doesn't like being confined (baby also does not like seatbelts, or tight pants). So after lying down for about 10 minutes, I started to feel like I couldn't breath very well, and I started getting really hot. "Calm down" I told myself....I could see baby's heartbeat was perfect (130-160), so why would I be worried? Then it started to get worse, I started getting really hot, clammy, and queasy. (I have felt this way two other times in my life, once I passed out, and the other time, I almost passed out). Thankfully, the nurse had placed the call button close by. I told nurse how I was feeling, so she got me a wet cloth and then remembered that she hadn't gotten my vitals. After taking my blood pressure, she said it was a low, to which I answered that I normally have low bp, around 100/60. She said "Well, your blood pressure is 70/40". "That's not good" I replied. Thankfully after moving onto my side and getting some OJ, I bounced back quite quickly, but it was not very fun! Baby's readings were fine. I get to repeat this every week from here until baby arrives. So much for the "Non-stress Test"!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Maybe it was non-stressful for Dr. Baby, but it sounds like it may have been stressful for Dr. Mom. Sorry you had that experience. Hopefully next week will be better for you. Did they give any explanation for why your pressure was so low?
ReplyDeleteSo... what was the deal?
ReplyDeleteI guess baby was laying on my blood vessels and squishing them not allowing the blood to get to my head.
ReplyDeleteDarn kid! He's causing Mom to have gray hair already. :) So much for non-stress. Gracious! Hopefully next week will be a little less eventful!
ReplyDelete