Hubby and I attended our 1 and only childbirth class last night. At least it was free! While I didn't learn much about the actual birthing process that I didn't already know, I was glad that I went. I learned some general hospital policies/my doctor's policies that I didn't know about, and I was pleasantly surprised. Barring no issues, the hospital pushes for the "magical hour" or something like that, which means they allow mom, dad, and baby one hour together to bond/breastfeed before giving shots, eye ointments, etc. They highly discourage any visitors during this time. I also learned that my doctor doesn't make women get their legs up in stirrups. yeah! I have heard that this increases chances of tearing (ouch,ouch). And, he doesn't clamp the cord until baby has been outside of womb for at least a minute, which decreases the chance of an anemic baby. Learning all of these things about my doctor's preference, does make me respect him much more, which is a good thing. I would much rather have a competent/knowledgeable doctor with less that perfect bedside manner than the other way around!
Not much other news to report. Baby is still kicking me a lot, I go for my 1st non-stress test tomorrow, and I have a shower coming up with weekend!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Your doctor sounds pretty great. Love hearing things like that!! I wish we could have had that experience, and we were supposed to, but the meconium was in the water, so that kept us from getting that. Carson had to see the nicu nurses first. :(
ReplyDeleteAs for the rest, in pregnancy, no news is good news.
Sounds like you had a great class. What was Scott's reaction to this info? I bet he will be a great coach. I really liked the idea of the magic hour. What a wonderful time to bond, wonder at the miracle, thank God, etc.
ReplyDelete