As you can tell from previous posts, I have loved my breastfeeding experiences. Since my mom has told me that a few soon-to-be mothers have been directed to my site, I've decided to share some of the tiny bit of knowledge that I've acquired over the last 6 months.
Here it goes...
1. The books say that if baby is latched properly, it shouldn't hurt. They lie...unless for some reason you have no feeling in your nipples. The suckling strength of a baby is amazingly powerful, and painful to boobies that have felt nothing but a nice soft bra. But, it will get better, I promise.
2. I recommend asking the nurse/Lactation consultant to show you how to pump while you are in the hospital. (well, they should also show you how to bf, but that's a given)
- Only pump after you've fed baby.
- Be prepared to get nothing or just a few drops of colostrum (baby is much more effective that pump, so don't worry)
- When the pump is going, the nipples sometimes turn a dark color (purple) from blood flow. that is ok.
- I really only recommend this if you plan to use a medela pump, because it will get you an extra set of pump parts, which is handy when you return to work.
- Oh, and this hurts like the devil also on those tender nipples
4. Newborns need to nurse a lot! Their bellies are very tiny. Goodbye long stretches of sleep. Baby will eat every 1-3 hrs (more often in the beginning, and less often has he/she ages). Most docs recommend not letting baby go longer than 3 hrs the first few weeks of life (again, depends on lots of factors). This means you do not get to sleep longer stretches than 3 hrs at a time. Bummer, I know, but your baby needs YOU and you alone for this. Let your hubby help with everything else (bath, diaper, cooking for you, laundry, etc), because you will need help and rest.
5. Take care of yourself
Birth is exhausting enough (and I never even had to do any pushing!), then you don't get to sleep to recover. So, accept all the help you can. You can't build a good milk supply if you are not taking care of yourself. Eat well, drink tons and tons of water, and rest when you can. The pounds will come off later, the house will get cleaned later (well, maybe), and life will go on.
6. Eating/Foods/Gas/ etc
Do what you are comfortable in this area. I do not shy away from foods just b/c of taste. I eat garlic, onions, spicy, and very flavorful meals just as I always have. However, I have found that beans of any kind are just not worth eating...they make my little boy wake up a lot at night with gas. Benjamin screamed a lot when he was first born, and I thought it was something I was eating. I soon discovered it was reflux, and he was in pain everytime I laid him down. If your baby is screaming when laid down or just after he spits up, reflux may be to blame.
7. Going back to work can be detrimental to breastfeeding. It's just a fact. Going back to work is stressful, pumping can be more stressful (am i making enough, is my baby eating enough, etc). Everything about going back to work can affect your supply. So drink tons of water, bring cute pics of baby to work, talk to your work about the space and time you will need to pump, and make if a priority. Thank goodness my work is very flexible. Pumping should generally be done every 2.5 hrs while away from baby.
8. If you are worried about your supply, its normal. I have been paranoid about not making enough milk many times. Yes, it has even led me to tears. Sometimes the baby is going through a growth spurt, so needing to feed every hour can be normal, and not a sign of not having enough milk....the baby is building up your supply. Again, eat well, drink lots of water, nurse frequently, and have your mom make you lots and lots of Lactation cookies. Even if they don't work (i think they do), they sure taste great. You can also try eating oatmeal every morning, pumping 15 mins after each feeding, taking the supplement fenugreek (warning will make milk taste like maple syrup, which baby may not like, and will make you smell like IHOP), or the rx Metoclopramide (will cause drowsiness).
8. I recommend the following books:
So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide (humorous and truthful)
The American Academy of Pediatrics New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding (for some straight information)
10. After you get the hang of things, you will marvel at how easy is it. No mixing powder and water, warming bottle while babe is crying, or washing bottles. Baby cries, you feed, baby is happy. Wa-La. Also makes traveling very easy (invest in a Hooter Hider to discreetly cover up while in public).
11. You will leak. Some of the disposable breast pads (medela) feel like sand paper on sore nipples. I highly recommend getting a few cloth breast pads to have around. They are generally way softer. (I bought mine online, the gerber ones are horrible). Oh, and be ready to leak on one side when you are feeding on the other. Happens all the time.
12. And after bfing, your baby will be very attached, and you may have to deal with a baby like this... Weaning Stewie
That is all I can think of now.
If you have any questions, I would be very happy to answer them.
Email me at narfyram@hotmail.com


You brought up some very good points. And, breastfeeding is something NO ONE ELSE can do for your baby. It's a great bond and a wonderful experience. I wouldn't have traded it for anything!!
ReplyDelete