http://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/4493296/ShowForum.aspx?MsdVisit=1
What I am most excited about after perusing this board for 5-6 months is the idea of cloth diapering my child. I know that this sounds disgusting and very labor intensive to most people, but since I plan on breastfeeding (which makes all excrements water soluble) the diapers can just be thrown right into the wash (no dunking in toilet, wadding in wet pail, etc). Most of the ladies on this board cloth diaper, so I have learned a lot about the different types of cloth diapers, ways to wash, how to store, what to do on vacations and when out of the home, etc. And while my father says that he refuses to let me turn my baby into a treehugger...I just might have to disappoint my dad this one time : )
What I've learned so far about cloth diapers:
There are many different types and ways to cloth diaper, and the technology has come a long way from prefold/pins and plastic pants.
*They still have prefolds, which are the most economical option, but they now have a fancy tool called a snappi that replaces the diaper pin. (see snappi on prefold diaper to the left)
*One step up from prefolds are "fitteds". These diapers snap or velcro into place and ofter have elastic around legs to prevent leaks. They are absorbant material only, so they must be used with a cover.

*Instead of pull-on plastic pants there are now many options for diaper covers: wool, fleece, and PUL diaper covers (this one is sort-of plasticy) that have snaps or velcro closures. They even make newborn covers with cord cut-outs.

*Pocket diapers are a stay dry liner and a cover attached.... and like the name describes, they have a pocket to stuff the absorbent material into (these are called inserts).
*All-in-ones are just like disposable diapers...but you wash them. The stay-dry liner, absorbent material, and waterproof cover are all there in one diaper. These are the easiest, but most expensive.
And what's cuter than a newborn in a cloth diaper?

I know that cloth diapering isn't for everyone. I want to do it because I feel it will be better for me, better for my baby, and much better for the Earth. I have also seen it estimated that by cloth diapering, I could save about $1,000-3,000 including the $ for laundering vs using disposables.
For more wierd updates on ideas I have for baby, keep tuned....


Ok, I have to highly recommend the book "Diaper Free" by Ingrid Bauer. Based on what you've shared so far, I think you will really enjoy it! It's a really quick read too. If you are at all intrigued by the idea of EC I can share more. :)
ReplyDeleteKim (Sarah's "hippie" friend)
that's awesome. you'd fit right in if you moved to santa monica with us :)
ReplyDeleteI used cloth diapers for Scott and Danie. We were just plain poor and couldn't afford disposables. I guess we were a bit eco-friendly, but we didn't know it.
ReplyDelete