Monday, December 28, 2009

Merry Christmas

Hello All.
Hubby and I were very fortunate this year. The cosmos aligned perfectly for us.... Christmas was on a Friday, we were not on-call, and we did not have to work Saturday!!! Which meant, we got to take Benjamin down south to see his Auntie Zarah, Uncle Kerner and Great-grandparents and the plethora of Mooherd family members. Then, we got to swing back through the "city" and see Hubby's side of the fam. One big holiday weekend extravaganza. The Lord has certainly blessed up with wonderful families, and despite the business of the season, it was a great to relax with those we love for Christmas.
Benjamin did exceptionally well. He lives a rather subdued life of quietness at mom and grandma's houses, so the long car rides, loud houses, bright lights, TV, and lots of people wanting to hold him could have been disastrous. Now mind you, all of the above mentioned chaos did result in a maximum of 30 minutes of napping in a 6 hr period, but despite the sleep deprivation, he was quite a charmer. (the car rides were another story. lots of crying, then when we would stop, he would just smile at us, only to begin his screaming fits when he was buckled down again.)

Not only was this the first Christmas for my little man, this was also the first Christmas for me as a mom. It made me think a lot of Mary, and in case you were just wondering what weird things my mind comes up with, here were a few of my "christmas" thoughts":
  • Hmmm, if Jesus was anything like my little man, it was NOT a silent night when he was born.
  • I wonder if the smell of the animals made Mary nauseous while she was giving birth in that barn.
  • Jesus was a breastfed baby just like Benjamin
  • If I was Mary, the last visitors I would want was a bunch of strange "wise men".
  • It is amazing the trust God must have had in Mary to allow her to raise Jesus.
Other thoughts about Christmas that I have to one day reconcile. Why do Christians celebrate Santa and Jesus's Birth simultaneously? It is confusing enough for adults, but it must be very confusing for little ones that know that presents come from Santa under the Christmas tree, but Baby Jesus was also born in a manger. If I'm to teach my children (well, child currently) anything, I would, in theory, like for them to learn about and celebrate the birth of our Savior. How can presents, Santa, snowmen and Christmas trees compare to that and why should Jesus have to "compete" with that?
These are just my thoughts, Hubby and I have not yet decided what to do once lil B gets old enough to know what's going on. If you're up to commenting, what are your thoughts on the above mentioned ponderings?

And a few pictures from the travels....


MMM I love chomping on my hungry catepillar "antlers" in Aunt Zarah's new kitchen.

(yes, my mom called them antlers instead of antennae. Unfortunately, I've been struck with the same disease that causes jumbled words to randomly come out of my mouth)

I want those Oreos in my stocking!


Yippee Christmas Morning!


ooh, I love my musical toolbox Uncle Randy and Aunt Tracy got me.



I also had a great time sitting on Great-grandpa's lap!

2 comments:

  1. We were so fortunate you were able to make your grandparents and city Christmases, despite the weather. We enjoyed our time so much, just wish we had a bit more. Loved our time with Benjamin, you and Scott.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so fun watching Carson with Baby Ben. We are teaching Carson about Jesus, and he knows Santa says "ho ho." Hard for kiddos to learn it all. As long as Carson knows the reason for the season, I'm okay with presents coming from Santa. So much to learn (and teach)!

    ReplyDelete