Wednesday, July 15, 2009

We've been busy (and cranky)

Sorry for the hiatus in blogging, we've been on the go.
This past weekend, we took a trip to hubby's parent's house for Grammy's birthday. Benjamin slept the entire way there and back! (Unfortunately, he was a little cranky while there). He was able to meet his Aunt Danie and Uncle CJ as well as one of his cousins, Carson. Carson is pretty chunky compared to Benjamin! In fact, Carson was never as small as Benjamin is now...and Benjamin has gained 1 lb and 10 oz!

Monday night was also very fun because Benjamin got to meet his Uncle (well, great-great-uncle) James and see Aunt Martha again. Benjamin got a new toy, which he will have to wait a few years to use. Hopefully Uncle James can teach Benjamin how to properly fish..because he isn't going to learn from my father or me!

Starting Saturday night, Benjamin starting getting really cranky after each feeding. He would wimper...and then start screaming and not calm down to sleep. He also started spitting up a lot. Unfortunately, we did not get the picture of massive spit up all over my chin and down my front. Hindsight is 20-20.

Because Benjamin seemed as though he was in a lot of pain with feeding, I called the doc, and they got Benjamin in yesterday morning. So wonderful Gma Mooherd stayed overnight with us on Monday to take care of Benjamin and allow Hubby and I to get some much needed rest before our trip. It was a glorious night of sleep that I hadn't had in over three weeks!
The doctor thinks that Benjamin has reflux, and since he seems as though he is in pain, we are going to try some medicine, as well as keep Benjamin upright for 1-2 hours after eating. Since he eats every 2-3 hours, this does present a problem. So Benjamin can sleep in his carseat, bouncy chair, or elevated bassinett. Good new, Benjamin is still gaining weight well, he is up to 8 lbs 12 oz (with clothes on), up from 8 lbs last Tuesday.

We tried the bassinett last night...didn't work so well, everytime I tried to lay him down, he would get really fussy and wake up (and scream for a while). So I resorted to having him sleep on my chest while I sit in a chair. Benjamin slept well, I didn't.Eventhough I was moving slower than normal today, Benjamin had a pretty good afternoon. He settled down enough to get story time! Clearly, he was enjoying it.

3 comments:

  1. I love the photo with Uncle James and the fishing rod. Just a few more years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got some clarification on his fussiness. Hopefully it is a growth thing, ie, will he grow out of this? Know you are anxious to find a place for him to sleep vs. you sitting up. Not much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh! i understand the sleeping sitting up - they sleep, we don't. hopefully this a short stint with benjamin. your photos are so great! and i'm impressed with benjamin having his eyes open so much. carson wasn't sure about baby benjamin, but i know they will be great friends soon!

    ReplyDelete